Myths About Infertility
Fact: Normal cycle lasts anywhere from 21 to 36 days.
2. A sperm lives for several hours.
Fact: In the fertile cervical liquid, a sperm can live up to five days.
3. A man with a high sex drive will have the normal sperm count.
Fact: There is no correction between virility and fertility for men and some men with a normal sex drive may have no sperm at all.
4. Infertility is primarily caused by females.
Fact: Studies have shown that infertility problems are caused by men and women equally, with 20 percent of infertility problems being a combination of both.
5. Having sex daily increases the chances of conceiving.
Fact: Having sex every other day at the time of ovulation, most often between days 12-16 of a woman’s cycle, is sufficient since sperm live an average of two days.
6. Fertility problems begin at 35.
Fact: While women fertility peaks in their 20’s, it changes throughout a one’s life. While some women remain fertile even into their late 30’s, others experience fertility problems at a younger age. Experts say that chances of conceiving decline with age, particularly after the age of 35.
7. Single embryo transfer lowers the success rate of pregnancy.
Fact: Women have a limited number of eggs. When they run out, the menopause occurs.
2. Aim to eat an optimal fertility diet.
3. Have an STD check.
4. Avoid coffee, smoking, and alcohol.
5. Maintain a healthy lifestyle.
6. Do not ignore it.